- The plural of most adjectives is formed by adding an –S to the singular adjective.
grand --> grands grande --> grandes (big, tall)
petit --> petits petite --> petites (short, small)
bon --> bons bonne --> bonnes (good)
bleu --> bleus bleue --> bleues (blue)
However, there are other rules.
- Adjectives ending in –s in the singular form stay the same in the plural form.
français --> français (French)
gras --> gras (fat)
- Adjectives ending in –x in the singular form stay the same in the plural form.
heureux -->heureux (happy)
peureux -->peureux (fearful)
merveilleux -->merveilleux (marvellous)
- Some adjectives ending in –eu in the singular form take an –x in the plural form. Bleu is an exception.
hébreu -->hébreux (Hebrew)
- Adjectives ending in –eau in the singular form take an –x in the plural form.
beau -->beaux (beautiful)
- Some adjectives ending in –al in the singular form become –aux in the plural form.
royal -->royaux (royal)
légal -->légaux (legal)
And last, but not least, there are the colors. They take an –s most of the time, except in 2 instances:
- when the color is also a fruit or a vegetable, the plural form remains masculine and singular
une jupe orange --> deux jupes orange (two orange skirts)
- when there are 2 compound colors, the plural form remains masculine and singular
une jupe bleu clair --> deux jupes bleu clair (two light blue skirts)