Major French national holidays
- January 1 -- New Year’s Day -- Nouvel an
- a Sunday in April -- Easter -- Pâques
- May 1 -- Labor Day -- Fête du Travail
- May 8 -- end of 2nd World War -- Fin de la 2ième guerre mondiale
- July 14 -- Bastille Day -- 14 juillet, fête nationale
- August 15 -- Assumption -- Sainte Marie
- November 1 -- All Saints’ Day -- La toussaint
- November 11 -- end of 1st W. War -- Fin de la 1ière guerre mondiale
- December 25 -- Christmas -- Noël
The month of May is definitely merry – Merry May – for the French:
May 1 is a national holiday, so is May 8 and so it the next Thursday after May 8 (jeudi de l’Ascension) and sometimes, your company also decides to make le lundi de la Pentecôte (Whit Monday coming soon after) a holiday.
So ; let’s say May 1 is a Thursday. Most French workers will choose to take Friday off. The next week is also a 3-day work-week, and so is the next one, because of Ascension. If Whit Monday comes soon after, one can get another 3-day week end. I think there are more (paid) holidays than work days in French May.
Did you know?
- that French people have 5 weeks of paid vacation in addition to the regular national holidays?
Wouldn’t you love to be French?